Re: [Gnumed-devel] limitations of Mandrake

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] limitations of Mandrake
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:04:17 -0800

I would also recommend Debian or anything non-RPM based.

I assume the python client should run on Windows. At least I have never seen anything so far which ran on Python for Linux and didn't run on Python in Windows. Stay away from Cygwin is my advice. The problem is, as far as I know, that things built against Cygwin do not work with things built against "windows." So you may come across something later which doesn't have a cygwin package for it. I've tried cygwin for some things before, like latex, apache2, gcc, and I always found that in the end it was easier to the use windows non-cygwin equivalents, miktex, apache2 for win32, and mingw respectively.

I really wish I could help out with the docs for Windows installation (as well as Linux) but I'm too busy right now. Still lurking on the lists.

David

J Busser wrote:

In an earlier email, Syan made reference to Mandrake 10 lacking support for a component of PostgreSQL.

If that is a correct and real limitation, does it affect Mandrake only as far as running as a gnumed *server*, or would it create problems for client software under Mandrake, as well?

The reason that I am wondering is because there is a version of Mandrake (9.1) available for PowerPC processors, which would mean I could reformat the drive on my oldest Mac and install either just Mandrake 9.1 or a dual-boot configuration. That way I would be at least able to see gnumed *working* (given that it will not run under the Mac OS at present).

Also, if I were to arrange for someone to install the gnumed client on machine that must run Windows-dependent Internet Explorer (because of some custom plug-ins)

- do people think the instructions remain workable at
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/*checkout*/gnumed/gnumed/gnumed/client/doc/user-manual/win9x.html#AEN859

- I don't discern from the above URL any info on downloading GnuMed, the info just says

Once you have done this, you can run GNUMed from the Python interpreter. Click on the Python icon and type:

>>>   import sys

 >>>   sys.path.append ('path-to-gnumed-files')

 >>>   import gnumed

 >>>   gnumed.main ()

should the client be downloaded/installed from CVS under Windows? Under Cygwin? if there is any Wondows-specific installation information available (other than what is the draft manual referenced above), can anyone point to it?

--
David J. Grant
http://www.davidgrant.ca:81