[Gnumed-devel] re: limitations of Mandrake.

From: catmat
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] re: limitations of Mandrake.
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:28:20 +1100

In an earlier email, Syan made reference to Mandrake 10 lacking support for a component of PostgreSQL.

If that is a correct and real limitation, does it affect Mandrake only as far as running as a gnumed *server*, or would it create problems for client software under Mandrake, as well?

The reason that I am wondering is because there is a version of Mandrake (9.1) available for PowerPC processors, which would mean I could reformat the drive on my oldest Mac and install either just Mandrake 9.1 or a dual-boot configuration. That way I would be at least able to see gnumed *working* (given that it will not run under the Mac OS at present).

Mandrake 9.2 worked as is.

For Mandrake 10 and one other version of mandrake in the past,
the easiest thing was to uninstall any non-working mandrake postgres packages, get a tar.gz postgres package, run configure, fetch any other packages that configure detects is missing and install that, and then do make and make install. it all goes into /usr/local/pgsql , and then just su postgres, and manually start the postgres server, /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -d /var/lib/pgsql/data.

Once gnumed has a functional distribution, then one could worry about missing mandrake postgres components, because you'd want a slick install then.

I suspect mandrake is becoming very commercial, and deliberately dropping components from it's "community edition" in order to get people to buy the "fuller" version. I've been wanting to go to debian for a while, but I'm not any good at sysadmin nor good at switching distributions in the middle of using one, so i've stuck with mandrake.