[Gnumed-devel] Re: limitations of Mandrake

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: limitations of Mandrake
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:36:11 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, J Busser wrote:

I had downloaded it and tried to install. It got a bit confusing with varying hard drive partition format requirements (needing an HFS Mac partition without which copying would not be possible from the Debian to OS X [UFS?] partition). Moreover yaboot didn't seem to behave the way the documentation said it should. I was a bit pressed for time and it was a year ago, it is possible I would now understand the instructions a bit better. Dual-boot would be nice but for a while I could tolerate having to reboot.
I have never installed a Mac before with Debian.  But make sure you use the
*new* installer for the future release of Sarge!!!
It has MUCH improved and should solve all your problems.

I can ensure you that installing Sarge is save even if it is not
yet released as stable.  Just try and report any problem with the
installer (I guess there will be none).

To be able to use Debian as a client OS, does a person need to be a power-user much more than for other Linux distros?
No.

If I had trouble installing it myself, I could get help, but I certainly don't want to *need* help adjusting things that should be "basic" e.g. TCP/IP network settings, connecting to a choice of printers etc.
Just ask in case of trouble ...

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--