Re: [Gnumed-devel] The 1,2,3's of SOAP for multiple problems-2

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] The 1,2,3's of SOAP for multiple problems-2
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:26:06 +1100

Karsten,

Beleive it or not, Guess how I enter stuff on my paper records, and have done
for 22 years, yes, you guessed it:
1.
2.
3.

etc.

Yes, it has always worked well for me on paper. Computer wise it is very
different. You may have the discipline to keep up such numbering in this
environment but the point I was making is that 99% of others will not. A
single mistake in data entry by the user will render any parser you make
ineffective and lead to either confusion on the part of the software, or
information parsed into the wrong part of a record.

gnuMed should not be designed for the half a dozen active developers. It
should be taking into accound the lowest common denominator of user - ie the
average doctor, the average GP, who is often semi-computer literate, let
alone used to number ordering in their day.

I would urge you to actually put gnuMed stuff you are developing to the test
in the clinical real-time, and I emphasise real-time, situation. But do so
with a Zen 'beginners mind' - ie don't approach it with the attitude that
what you have developed will work.

Note that I frequently do that - the tabbed mutliple SOAP concept being a
classic. My gut reaction, because I think the sashed SOAP stuff sucks so much
because it is so inelegant, was that it was a waste of time - yet I gave it a
little thought - and an hours fiddling to write the code in between patients,
and hey, I was impressed. Multiple SOAPs are really good - it is just how you
implement them.

Also I keep on emphasising something which seems to be really lacking in
gnuMed, that is an overview of the whole process, both visually and
functionally. I'd like to see a screen dump of the Belgian project you
mention  - so I can see it in the whole context of the medical record. I;ve
emailed Marc to see if he would be kind enough to pass some on to me, if so
I'll forward to the list.It may be fantastic - but integrating Carlos' design
into screen real-estate on monitors most people are running (15") won't leave
much space for anything else. I could be wrong - prove it to me by the
integrated picture.

Regarding the linking of SOAP with multiple problems to a diagnosis. Why do
you need to cleanly separate the thread. That is not what happens in the
paper record. When you wish to review a thread - you scan back over multiple
entries and your eye catches the words you want to link. Similarly, you can
link any number of diagnoses to a single SOAP entry, and when you are
reviewing this in a summary form, simply each consultation will be shown,
just as it is on paper.