Re: [Gnumed-devel] clin_health_issue - some thoughts

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] clin_health_issue - some thoughts
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:05:34 -0800

At 2:53 PM +0100 11/28/04, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
Imagine a post-polytraumatic patient. I would define a health
issue "post-polytrauma 1987". The patient might suffer
temporally unrelated (eg. overlapping and/or distinct)
episodes of osteomyelitis, back pain, spells of dizziness. All
of which would be episodes to the polytrauma issue

But if over time there is
- more than one episode of back pain
- more than one episode of spells of dizziness etc

... it would be entirely reasonable to want to be able to aggregate them but there is no mechanism by which to do so, you would have to pick them out visually and this gets even harder if each episode takes on the name of a changeable AOE. And what happens if the health_issue is sufficiently broad that its various episodes do not all fit within a single GUI screen?

I am a bit stymied because I cannot tell whether no-one on the list thinks it useful to be able to aggregate (to see grouped together in a GUI widget) any relationship among episodes, or whether there is subconscious agreement and only a nagging feeling of how to do this without complicating the data structure.

If we stay to Karsten's proposal that a health_issue is a "cause" and an episode is a cluster of "problem activity" -- but various episodes can either be different problems, or "newly opened" incarnations of a previous problem, then we need to keep the names of the "newly opened" episodes the same as the names of the older ones - maybe in the widgets some kind of batch naming function, the "problem" can have all of its episodes named identically based on some user-defined name maybe updated via AOE (however we would then lose the ability of the AOE to speak specifically to the episode in question ).