Re: [Gnumed-devel] may help

From: catmat
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] may help
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 16:31:16 +1100

Ian Haywood wrote:

Jython (www.jython.org) is a Python interpreter for the Java VM, this may be
what you are looking for.
Personally I would have much much preferred if Syan had written his web
interface in Python, I still cannot see the advantage of Java at all,
but it's too late now ;-)

Ian
firstly, I don't know how to write web clients in Python; tomcat and struts are popular and I just wanted to stay fashionable. I looked at Zope as suggested, but didn't get very far; it still looks like a content management system. I think I peeked at twisted , but I can't remember what it was about . I get the impression that the the gnumed team is reluctant to take on any other package dependencies, is that right? (already depends on python, postgres, mxDateTime, wxWidgets, wxPython, pyPgSQL), mainly because those packages are essential for the functionality required, whereas other packages might provide limited benefits , with the problem of introducing package bugs. I thought omniPyCORBA was a good package , but I gather people aren't keen, because it is a complex package
and without much documentation.

BTW, could Carlos give me hints about how to use eclipse RCP ? What do you need to learn to use it?

Yesterday , I used the eclipse EMF / GEF tutorial for making a PatientDatabase container, identity objects which contained identity profiles, addresses, and telephone numbers with types, and identity numbers with types (medicare, vets ,etc) , which saves to
a file, the root object being PatientDatabase.  Took only a few hours.

I'm guessing that EMF isn't really for database backed application where there's tens of thousands of objects if one has a file based root object, but for say, making a tool that reads postgres meta-schema as objects, and letting you make some sort of object graph , and then having the tool generate some code for you (perhaps a multi-language tool) , and saving the work.

Has Carlos got any ideas how to use RCP for gnumed ?