Re: [Gnumed-devel] may help

From: Carlos Moro
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] may help
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:26:57 +0100

   Hi all,

catmat wrote:

   tomcat and struts are popular and I just wanted to stay fashionable.

I fully agree. Java + struts (and JSF in a close future) is one of the most optimal solutions (and the preferred for me) at the moment to develop web applications. It's a proven, efficient solution with hundreds of open source and industry complex developments running 24x7 and managing critical transactions. Also, development process is relatively easy, completely open source and with tons of related docs...

Thanks mostly to open source community and the efforts of fundations like Apache and groups like JBoss... well and many many more, Java is the standard 'de facto' in relation with www, xml, web services technologies and in general server side programming. I don't mean other option are worse or not valid. They exists and work very well: Zope, Php... But none of them provides the developer with such huge spectrum of IT technologies, frameworks, libs, standards...

In the same line i'm 100% convinced Python is a great programming language, ready for both client and server side programming and also with tons of development resources, so I feel completely happy working with it. Undoubtly, it's essentially much more open source than Java... (although wish things will evolve in future with sun and with www.classpath.org...).

This thread, without any intention of annoying or creating bad discussion, more just an informal chat, arised from imaging how (at least in future, for 0.5? ;) ) could we enable our code for interaction in and independent language way. If anyone wants to develop any kind of client (eg. pathology or hospital focused client) for use with Gnumed , would be able to provide our business functional classes in any way, or the code must be ported to other languages? Backend schema is really robust, efficient and provides lots of services and security... One approach can be: you'll be using Gnumed by using its SQL schema, as a lot of logic and constraints is into it.. Another approach could be: you can user Gnumed by using SQL schema + business classes (cPatient, cClinicalRecord...), which we offer to you eg. as corba services... or other options... I personally use to hate recoding what has been done... I will however endorse the efforts when anyone decides to rewrite the code in other language (that's the essence of free software) but if that situation can be chosen or not effort duplications might be avoided,along the difficulties with maintining different versions of the code...
BTW, could Carlos give me hints about how to use eclipse RCP ? What do you need to learn to use it?

Eclipse RCP framework is at the current time, one of the most advanced, powerful, open source and easy to use graphical frameworks to develop desktop rich clients. It's also very easy to learn, allows programming at a very high level (perspectives, views, widget viewers, resource managing, pluggable architecture, great extensivility) and facilitates a clean programming, as endorses concerns separation.
   Some resources:
      1. SWT and JFace: http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~eclipse/
2. Eclipse Rich Client Tutorial 1,2,3: http://www.eclipse.org/articles/index.html (and more articles) 3. IBM developer works RCP tutorials (two or three): https://www6.software.ibm.com/developerworks/education/os-rcp1/index.html 4. Graphic designer: ww.swtdesigner.com -> provides advanced JFace widgest and in a close future, Eclipse Forms. 5. Addison Wesley's: Building commercial quality eclipse plugins (i can send to anyone interested)
      6. Of course, Eclipse platform and rcp newsgroups.

I'm guessing that EMF isn't really for database backed application where there's tens of thousands of objects if one has a file based root object, but for

I think so. Let's db technologies manage high volumes of data (i would think in hibernate in java world). EMF is intended as a generic framework to make easier the development of specific modeling languages applications. UML2 and i think Omondo UML is built upon it. For example it may be suitable for intermed sharable computer interpretable guidelines based applications using GLIF (Guideline Interchange Format, http://www.glif.org).

Has Carlos got any ideas how to use RCP for gnumed ?

Its early now but i (in confidence ;) ), we're working in a problem oriented hospitalary focused client prototype, under demand of a centre... The prototype is getting functional. UI is working and quite functional (perspectives -problems, episodes...- views, pluggins) functional. It's a RCP application, but working at the moment with simulated data (taken from some relatively complex use cases provided by the centre). We have not middleware or backend model, we've concentrated, as required, in client design. My wish is try convince the project's leads to open source it and, of course, use/integrate Gnumed as backend and/or middleware... OpenEHR reference model is also an attractive approach for middleware/client business model and could be used together with Gnumed also... but i'm deeping in the area of dreams now... ;)

Respect Gnumed i'm (an will be) concentrated at the moment in coolaborating to make our reference wxpython client closer to 0.1... There's a lot of work yet and think it must be the most and first important objective... Time will say about future, integrated clients and so... but our wxpython client and web client must be in production asap ;)

Best regards,
carlos