Re: [Gnumed-devel] soap2

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] soap2
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:25:29 +1100

Karsten Hilbert wrote:
I have committed

client/wxpython/gmResizingWidgets.py which incorporates the
generic resizing parts of SOAP2.

Ian, please test this and remove the relevant sections from
SOAP2 if you have time.

Questions remaining:

How is one supposed to attach an edit area popup to be called
upon a keyword being typed ?

What is the rationale behind the seemingly complicated
__userlist/instance/callable/complete callbacks. It seems
complex.
Well, me being a bit of a smartarse ;-)
The idea is, a cMatchProvider may return in response to a match, *either* a cResizingWindow instance (which answers your first question:
that returned window becomes the popup.),
or a callable, which is then called (in case you want to do something else) or an inert, opaque data object (i.e. our existing match providers) which is recorded,

An alternative, if you don't like this approach, is to extend the dictionary the match providers are allowed to return, so they can return
a 'popup_window' key, etc.as well/instead of the 'data' key.

Also the handling of picklist.alive in several classes seems
confusing.
A picklist may die one of two ways: either itself when the user clicks
on an item, or by the parent when the user tries to do something else with the parent. If the former, if the parent then tries to close the remaining Python shadow object, wxPython crashes (as the underlying C++ object is dead) There doesn't seem to be an offical way to detect this, if there was, the picklist.alive hackery can be done away with.
I would have thought to just modally display the popup (be
that list or edit area) when hitting a keyword. This should
avoid the whole flag setting/callback business, no ?
A lot of the flag-setting business is to avoid wxPython core dumping behaviour which I don't fully understand.

Ian