[Gnumed-devel] Re: using dbconfig-common in gnumed

From: sean finney
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: using dbconfig-common in gnumed
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 01:02:57 -0500

hi guys,

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 01:14:43PM +1100, Ian Haywood wrote:
>       - ties us to Debian, others need to run .sqls manually or use

you say that like it's a bad thing :)

>       another script (which already exists for Cygwin, thanks to Syan)
>       - we need to control the order in which .sqls are run, does
> dbconfig-common do this?

if you're talking about upgrades, they're done in sorted order based on
the version.

>       - the scripts gmAuditSchemaGenerator.py, et al., need to use debconf
>       to get the connection parameters. (yes there is a python binding), or
> command-line for non-Debian systems, or should we just run them from
> postinst?

something that you may not know is that dbconfig-common stores its
parameters not in debconf (which would generally be bad practice for
data of this sort), but in /bin/sh syntax config files, in
/etc/dbconfig-common/$package.config.  i've attached an example config
file for reference.

if you want to use a bootstrapping script due to its cross distro
nature, you could write a wrapper script for debian which sourced
the file and then passed the arguments on the cmdline, or modify
your script to read the variables from the environment, or something
like that.

also, if you have any feedback on this package, i'd be very
interested in hearing it, since it's still very developmental in
nature.

        sean