Re: address@hidden: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP input key behaviour design quest

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: address@hidden: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP input key behaviour design question]
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:34:05 +1100

Sorry Karsten, I've mis-understood your question.

I am now taking your question relative to a single STC control which may be a
single line or multiple lines. Hope that is correct.

TAB moves between STC controls, not within lines of STC controls of course.
I.E, as it functions at the moment in SOAP2.py, if you are anywhere within an
STC control (ie, one SOAP line(s)) TAB moves you to the next SOAP unit (eg
from a multi-line subjective input, to the Objective line.

The issue of down arrow is more problematic with multiple lines. The  inbuilt
and logical behaviour is for it to do exactly what it does, ie, if one has
entered several lines in an STC, then the up-arrow key or down arrow key
moves one between these lines.

The question of whether it should also move you from the end of one STC
control to the start of the next STC control is different. This will be
programatically implemented and personally I'd agree with you that reaching
the arrow keys and using it to jump between lines is convenient. My only
hesitency about that method of behaviour is that which I previously mentioned
when I used the script as an example - ie using the down-arrow to make the
pop-up lists appear. I guess we need to debate this as a group. My method
works brilliantly in my program using single text boxes, but I don't have the
complication of multi-line STC controls.

How about for the moment we just allow the TAB/Enter as illustrated, and the
inbuilt arrowing within the STC, and we will all put on out thinking caps
about additional behaviours. I will sit with SOAP2.py for a while and play
with mechanisms of popping up the word lists after the user has selected a
word, to see what consistently and logically works.

Hope this helps, if not mail me back.

Regards

Richard.