Re: [Gnumed-devel] Kickoff for 2005

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Kickoff for 2005
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:29:36 +0100

Ian,

> I would also like to propose to get rid of gmGP_Toolbar and just let
> notebook widgets define their own second-row toolbar where they require it.
> Visually and functionally this will be identical to the status quo,
How so ?

a) the left-most patient picture extends over top and bottom
   row of the top panel

b) the right hand side pick lists (encounter type, problem)
   are managed by the top panel

Maybe I misunderstand your proposal ?

> advantages:
>       - much cleaner code
This certainly sounds desirable.

>       - more portable (gmGP_Toolbar breaks on wx 2.5 and on MS-Windows)
How ? Should not we try to fix that ?

>       - notebook pages that don't use a toolbar don't waste the space (a
> minor point, it's only ~25 pixels thick)
According to Richard's design plugins *add* their functionality
to a *managed* toolbar. That point it seems would be lost. I
am not sure Richard would agree here.

I am in favour of cleaning up the code but need further info
to understand your approach.