Re: [Gnumed-devel] Time for a major re-think in 2005 - opinions please.

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Time for a major re-think in 2005 - opinions please.
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:23:26 +1100

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:34, Hilmar Berger wrote:
> > My idea was this: there is a clear difference between
> > *incorporating* drug data into GnuMed (as in tying
> > programmatic access deeply into our code) and *interfacing* to
> > existing databases.
>
> I feel that interfacing to a large number of proprietary APIs might be more
> difficult than implementing a direct access to some basic drug database.
> Drugref or some rudimentary form of curated substance list might be
> sufficient for the beginning.

Drugref has both.
However, maintenance of regularly updated commercial database services are a
pain when their structure differs a lot from drugref's structure - I found it
easier to store them in their "native" structure and access them via API
middleware rather than importing and polluting the free drugref database.

Horst