Re: [Gnumed-devel] MimsAnnual Data is not prescribing data remember

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] MimsAnnual Data is not prescribing data remember
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:08:45 -0500

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 03:32:47PM -0800, J Busser wrote:
> Some of the abbreviations "lose" non-AU docs but I surmise the PBS
> must be a  'Pharmaceutical Benefits Schedule' local to Australia.
Correct.

> then this PBS dataset can be an example of what Ian proposed as a
> "Component #1" country-specific --- or
> region-within-country-specific, e.g. provincial --- detailed data set
Exactly, within the drugref data structure (the PBS itself has no
structure)

> i) "Big-MIMS/annual" as a "data source" for drugref i.e. to expand
> its monographs?
IMHO no, it's (one of many) drug data sources viewable through a browser.
Horst's drugref API (not the same as the drugref data structure) may
allow a single browser to view all these datasources.
IMHO we should still have the prescribing widget/drug browser
separation, to support mixing of sources , say, a drugref-PBS presciber with the
MIMS browser (which will be the commonest inital config here in AU),
plus Karsten's totally separate reference browsers.

In the fullness of time, drugref will have its own drug monographs, so
it can be *both* a reference and run a prescribing widget.

> ii) "Big-MIMS/annual" as an *alternative* source to drugref, to be
> accessible by Hilmar's browser which does_or_does_not(?) already
                ^^^^^^^^
Yes, but it sounds like Horst's browser is the upgrade to Hilmar's.
> --- on ii) does Hilmar's browser currently support only a single,
> Germany-specific source of data in which case is any broadening of
> that browser warranted instead of, or to accompany, development of
> said interfacing "driver"
No, it (and Horst's) browsers are generic, but we may require other, specific
browsers (see my previous mail)

> granular prescribing data
> causing some within gnumed to want to work toward being MIMS-ready?
Yes, but we don't know yet what the availability of this data is.
As I have said, it would surprise me if we could shoehorn this data
into the drugref *data structure*, and we would be better writing a
specific prescribing widget for it.

The question is, can we have a single prescribing widget, which uses the
drugref API to talk to different data sources. Again, I think this is
very tough, but I await Horst's presentation at TPOSSCON with interest...

Ian