[Gnumed-devel] wiki update

From: David Grant
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] wiki update
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:02:35 -0800

I made the decision, mostly on my own tonight, to reinstall twiki fresh using the tarball at twiki.org. The comment about a rootkit which was in the twiki installation worried me. Also, some aspects of the "Gnumed" wiki didn't work, for instance, the left-hand tool bar, and the TWikiRegistration page as well. This will be replaced with TWikiRegistrationPub which allows a user to choose a password.

It may also be possible for me to restore all the old usernames, even passwords (they are encrypted currently, just like standard apache passwords. We'll probably ask everyone to change them once the wiki comes up).

Once the basic necessities are up and running then it can go live.

Technical details follow:

Carlos and others with admin access, the old twiki is still there under twiki-old and the new is twiki-new.

Carlos, I've also unemerged the gentoo twiki ebuild as I'm not confident that it is useful at all. I'm scarred that if a twiki update comes out, and someone does emerge -uv world, all the important files in /var/www/twiki/data/Main like TWikiPreferences and TWikiUsers will get clobbered. I don't trust the twiki ebuild at all. It doesn't even set all the permissions correctly AFAIK, and it leaves a few things out in the 97_twiki.conf file in /etc/apache2/conf as well AFAIK... twiki is essentially a non-static-data distribution, and shouldn't be installed automatically by a packaging system. The problem is with the upstream developers. The "Main" wiki should be created during post-install from a template. The ebuild should just install the template. The gallery.sf.net project has it figured out....they have these html.wrapper files....html.wrapper.default comes with the package. The user can create html.wrapper which gets used by gallery. Upgrades clobber html.wrapper.default, but not html.wrapper.

Time for bed now!

--
David J. Grant
http://www.davidgrant.ca:81