Re: [Gnumed-devel] Questions about new server

From: Carlos Moro
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Questions about new server
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:26:05 +0100

Hi all,

David Grant wrote:

Carlos: How long can we have your server for?

I sincerely don't know. Certainly while I'm here. If I had to leave, I'd try to ask for permission to keep the server, at least for a certain period...

Is there a possibility we can keep it for the long term, after you are gone (it is your university right? so I assume you will be gone eventually).

I'd like it, but the decision is completely out of my scope :(. Though I promise: a) giving the notice as soon as I know, and with enough time to look for an alternative server (the server won't disappear from one day to another)
   b) trying to look for another one

In this way, as it's seen that setting the server with all features up isn't a trivial task, I'd suggest keep files (shell scripts, configuration files, data contents) as well organised and even documented as possible so we could for the next time move all the services in a relativel easy and safe way (Karsten's shell scripts, postgresql conf files, all twiki bundle, syan's webapp build and deploy directories...)... Is it possible? Could be of interest opening in Twiki a section like: GnuMed services configuration and deployment?

Can we get a free domain name for this IP address? I'm using my own through my /etc/hosts file. What is the best free domain name provider?

It has also a free DNS at DynDNS: salaam.homeunix.com

Also, the connection seems a bit sluggish. Anyone else noticed?

It is thought with the aim to be useful for this development stage... not a definitive or production host (I have no means of getting it)...

Best regards,
carlos