Re: [Gnumed-devel] wiki update 2

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] wiki update 2
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:20:37 -0800

Just use

http://salaam.homeunix.com/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed/WikiSupport

but how do i register a username?

http://carlos/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed <--- doesn't work
             ^^^^^
     salaam.homeunix.com

David must have "carlos" as some sort of alias on his machine, because he keeps using it - either that, or he has memorized and can easily remember "/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed" but can't remember salaam.homeunix.com which is kind of amusing :-) - maybe just means he knows Twiki so well, which is good for us!

So it should be
        http://salaam.homeunix.com/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed

Thanks Elizabeth. I've added a "register" link to the left-hand toolbar in Gnumed wiki. It should be clearer now.

There is a problem now (maybe a small bug as a function of the registration module?). When you first reach the above URL (and, I suspect, any wiki page) you are forced to enter your (own/user) WikiName. The modal dialog box says
        "Cancel to register if you do not have one." on salaam.homeunix.com.

You have to press Cancel twice in order to actually cancel, at which point the desired browser page will be rendered. It will be very jarring for anyone trying to reach the site. I have seen this behaviour at other sites and dunno how it is triggered. We had some discussion of permitting public "reads" while requiring logged-in edits but I don't know if there is any connection. This behaviour was absent before David reinstalled TWiki, don't know if it is a bug in the newest "base/default" installation or if it only began after some configurational change had been made.

After getting through it however, I was able to register OK (I like the "NOSPAM" incorporated into the email address listings) and after I logged in, the annoying dialog box went away.