Re: [Gnumed-devel] install problems

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] install problems
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:02:59 +0100

> $bash /home/Helge/gnumed/check-prerequisites.sh
> => checking for Python being installed ...
> => found
> /usr/bin/python: can't open file 'check-prerequisites.py'
Ah, when the check script isn't run from the directory it is
in it will fail to start it's sub-script. I added a warning
to that effect.

> And then:  ps ax | grep "postmaster"
> 1131 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster -D
> /var/lib/postgres/data
> 1893 pts/1    R+     0:00 grep postmaster
Thanks ! I added some wording to that effect :-)

> $python /home/Helge/gnumed/gnumed/client/wxpython/gnumed.py
As Sebastian pointed out this is not a good idea because ...

> CRITICAL ERROR: Cannot load GnuMed Python modules ! - Program halted.
... python cannot find some modules that GnuMed needs because ...

> - the GnuMed Python modules installed in site-packages/
... neither this ...

> - your PYTHONPATH environment variable set up correctly
... nor that has been done.

The shell scripts in gnumed/client/ do it for you. When we
package releases the installer will do it for you, too. You
could also manually point a link site-packages/Gnumed to
gnumed/client, too, which is what an installer will be doing.