[Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed Install

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed Install
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:07:07 +0100

> >I got the CVS version  to connect externally and that
> >opens the door for other possibilities.
> I do know only one reason for using CVS version: If you want to
> do development on the code.
Or else if you want to see the latest code. The packaged
offerings may not be new enough.

> >How many successes so far using the debian package?
> I'm currently quite busy but I hope to get some further steps at the
> weekend.  If you *reall* want to deal with the PostgreSQL configuration
> just start with the configuration I'm doing in the gnumed-server package.
> All other configurations other persons suggested for Debian installs
> (at least which I know of) do open to much rights for anybody else.
In a local setting likely all regular, real GnuMed users would
be both system and PostgreSQL users. In that case standard
IDENT over domain sockets will simply work. Most users will be
remote users in most settings, however, in which case
everything just works with md5 or even ssll.

However, the problem is that a test install uses the
predefined user any-doc no matter what your local user name
is. We've got two options: also create a system account
any-doc for testing. This would be clean but shlightly more
troublesome for users. Or else we can tell PostgreSQL to allow
certain users to masquerade as any-doc. For that we have
several options.