Re: [Gnumed-devel] Two patches

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Two patches
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 05:52:47 +1100

Karsten Hilbert wrote:
Ian,

I have committed your schema patches with some changes here
and there. Your concepts are untouched though. I do like the
way with form_fields though I am wary how it will work out.

I have thought about this more. We need to be very clear about
the separation of definitions for *display and input* - which
is what your form_fields defines
Not really, they define the data types the form template wants, with
one display hint. IMHO a interesting proportion of form GUIs can then be
auto-constructed, but I agree not all, some forms will need a "hand-written"
GUI form which then passes the data directly to the templating layer.
Some forms may not even have a GUI, one could imagine a nightly cron
job which prints out patient reminder letters and reports to payors and other
third-parties
overnight while no-ones using the printer.

Strings, bools, lists and such don't do the job. Also, for
quite some lists we won't know the list content until runtime.
Indeed, what I'm aiming for is a rich set of high-level types,
which GUIs can display however they see fit.
For example an AU script is a drug_list and two boolean flags, a
German one is a drug_list and a payor. Presumably the "payor" concept applies
to other
German forms [1], and drug_list is shared between the locales (although it is an
"arbitrary" field
specific to the script form within our own formsets)

Ian

[1] I suspect you would in reality select the payor once for each patient and
store it in the demographics layer,
then grab it from gmDemographicRecord inside the form code, without having a
specific form field for it, but hopefully I'm
getting the idea across.