Re: [Gnumed-devel] pharm information as XML

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] pharm information as XML
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:46:50 +0100

Horst,

> - all databases (both "external" and "core" are accessible via one single
> drugref API
> - the drugref API is extremely simplified, I'll explain in an extra email how.
> - there is a drugref service server, which acts like a discovery service for
> available databases

Does the current drugref API allow to access databases which
we cannot import into any schema, eg to which we only have
access via a dedicated frontend provided by the database
vendor ? This would amount to a "passthrough" "driver" type
thing that just routes drugref API calls to proprietary calls
(at the level this is even possible with the proprietary
frontend - it may well be that all this amounts to is: "let
user select drugs" - "here is the list of selected drugs").

This functionality is *crucial* here in Germany.

> The discussions at the Hawaii conference, especially with IP lawyers of which
> several were present, made it clear that this step was absolute necessary
> lest we end up in never-ending court battles.
I understand.

If I understand things corrently it should very well be
possible to import German AMIS data into their own schema,
write a bunch of drugref-API hooks and be done with it ?