Re: [Gnumed-devel] client "dependencies" stored on a USB Flash drive

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] client "dependencies" stored on a USB Flash drive
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:12:02 +0100

> What is the need for storing database files on the USB stick, is this
> for "caching" purposes?
Well, to meaningfully run PostgreSQL (locally) you need writable
storage. You can put those files onto the borrowed machine's
spare room, you can put it onto a RAM drive, or you can put it
onto a flashcard/USB stick. Only the latter you can take along
with you to resume working elsewhere.

> If the connection to the server should be interrupted
This is only meaningful if you can connect to a remote GnuMed
database. In which case you don't the local writable storage,
eg. no USB stick.

>, is there a
> need to preserve these "cache" files, in order to somehow later
> reconcile them with the server?
I was thinking of running a *local* server in which case, yes,
you would want to take along the database files.