Re: [Gnumed-devel] test web app to try out

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] test web app to try out
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:32:13 +1100

catmat wrote:

( you can popup browser windows in mozilla which don't have back buttons).

Ah , so that's why Oscar  has the annoying popups ?!

Yes, hiding the browser navigation controls and hoping the user doesn't work around that as Liz suggests is one strategy, perhaps a reasonable one for apps with a limited audience who can be trained to use them correctly.

What we are doing with out NetEpi Case Manager app is recording a graph (in teh mathematical sense of connected nodes) of application states, each identified by a unique number. If the user replays or revisists a previous browser page, then app is set to the corresponding state. What we still need to do is warn the user about what they have done by displaying an additional message on the page, which suggests that they might do better to use the **application** navigation buttons (OK, Back, Cancel etc) instead of the browser navigation buttons etc, and to ask if they really do want to clobber previous changes to a record. But at least the app doesn't throw an exception due to inconsistent states. Detecting whether clobbering will take place, or whether the use of teh browser navigation is innocuous, takes quite a lot of logic code for each app page. Building robust Web apps is, we've found, a lot more complex than building robust GUI apps.

Tim C