Re: [Gnumed-devel] test web app to try out

From: catmat
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] test web app to try out
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:47:43 +1100

Tim Churches wrote:

Detecting whether clobbering will take place, or whether the use of teh browser navigation is innocuous, takes quite a lot of logic code for each app page. Building robust Web apps is, we've found, a lot more complex than building robust GUI apps.

Tim C

this app is a lot simpler, so it only needs one page for demographic insert/update ( and by initiating a blank demographic form with a unused sequence number, then checking the number is in
the identity table, you can deal with the back button).
The clinical update is only on one page (albeit, messily complex) , so the hacky solution there was to popup a browser window without navigation buttons and only exit points being the submit button and window frame close button. What's done in this window isn't picked up by the window opener, the demographics. There is only one back state and that's from the non-updating printable summary page, and once the form is submitted , the window is closed to prevent any backing up. This is done by making it's post-submit page a page with the only content of javascript "window.close()".

I thought oscar was being unnecessarily complex by using popups, but I can see why now.