Re: [Gnumed-devel] lab data fetcher/importer connection methods

From: E Dodd
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] lab data fetcher/importer connection methods
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:00:39 +1100

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 17:11, Horst Herb wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:20, you wrote:
> > 1) when you say "the requesting doctor polls", is is straightforward
> > to set up the server to poll the mailbox, are special software
> > packages required to process S/MIME email
>
> it's the same process as polling email - in fact, you can use fetchmail or
> your favourite email client to do it.
> A python 2-liner can do it for you too.
>
> > 2) would this approach scale well, for example if a lab (or data
> > clearinghouse) had a thousand doctor groups, would the administrative
> > workload for the lab to maintain such a system be unattractive?
>
> Suppose it scales - my  path provider is Mayne Health, one of Australias
> largest pathology service providers. Their customer base is probably more
> like tens of thousands rather than thousands.
>
> Horst

we get reports from radiology through an encrypted email system - the provider
sends it to the clearing house mail server; we poll the server hourly and
collect anything that's there -> decrypt -> put decrypted file in directory
for medical software.
liz
--
Is truth not truth for all?
  -- Natira, "For the World is Hollow and I have Touched