Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:49:45 +1100

J Busser wrote:

At 7:52 AM +0100 2/16/05, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

 > I was thinking that a browser might be deployable in a

 short enough time frame to permit catching up to some of OSCAR's
 basic functionality

Some have pointed out that writing a robust web app isn't a
piece of cake either.

That certainly gave me pause.

A Web app designed for "trained, disciplined, responsible users" is not so hard. A Web app designed for untrained users or one intended to be exposed to anyone on the Internet is much harder to make reliable and secure.

A pilot for the anticoagulation clinic is almost certainly more achievable (less work yet to do / shorter time frame) than to have a web app developed, yes?

b) what good is it to let them look at a web frontend and then
   tell them "well, yeah, but that's not what we
   recommend/focus on/think should be used" ?

A web frontend (even if it is read-only) could be invaluable when needing to obtain core information when you do NOT have access to a computer with a gnumed client installed (or even where you would be *permitted* to install a client, it is a temporary location or you are "on the move" and did not have time).

Even something basic would contribute to (as Tim put it in January) the *plausible promise* of more to come.

Only geeks, nerds and dorks are impressed by excellence of software engineering in the back-end and middleware layers. The vast majority of would-be users are only interested in what the application can do for them - not how it does it - and they naturally want to see that in action.

I WAS thinking as a stepping stone to
 > ESTABLISH GnuMed as something deserving more consideration, and its

 ADOPTION by enough groups to remain viable.

I suppose I am just not competitive enough. You know, studying
martial arts I tend to see "competition" like this: Either it's
serious and only one of us is going to be walking away at the
end of the day (eg when you ambush me you better be serious
about it). Or it's not worth the trouble and I'd prefer
working *with* rather than *against* you.

Working "with" is entirely a good idea and Horst is achieving very good things for drugref in collaboration with OSCAR. I am just trying to get an AUDIENCE for GnuMed, it is so hard when AFAIK, Oscar is the only open source EMR running in Canada.

A person could be a wonderful performing artist, about whom no-one knows because they cannot get a booking or "on the table". They may disdain corporate / commercial aspects of the industry, especially "manufactured" successes, and may prefer to quietly hone their craft. A Chinese woman who started out "assigned" to be a foot juggler has, over time, achieved great acclaim as a magician, and such success stories do happen. But that is an individual story, also it took her 15-20 years. Some might say "you want something now, use Oscar" but I would rather say "if I can help to get parts of GnuMed running in 6-12 months, I would rather do that" :-)

Even if the GnuMed project is not seeking funding (apparently it isn't, based on past discussions), it still needs to worry about "marketing" of Gnumed - winning hearts and minds, finding people to champion it etc. Most importnatly, it needs to win over people who will support it. In Australia, that means key people ("CEOs" and "CIOs") in Divisons of General Practice, and independent medical IT support firms. Just being technically excellent and free is not enough. But after 3 or 4 years of effort you don't even have a working prototype to show them, they are not going to be too keen to tell everyone "Gnumed is the future of primary care computing". In other words, "marketing" or promotion of GnuMed is important, but don't even think about it until you have a working prototype. No rush, perhaps, but bear in mind that OSCAR, PrimaCare (from Malaysia), OpenEMR and Care2X are all being deployed in production sites now, and Vista Office will be fairly soon.

So, from the point of view of a bystander with a great deal of enthusiasm and goodwill towards the Gnumed project, but no active involvement in it, I have to say "Come on guys, pull the finger out and produce a working prototype which can save patient records to a database and then recall them."

Tim C