[Gnumed-devel] Forms redux, was: Re: Keeping gnumed focussed toward 0.1

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Forms redux, was: Re: Keeping gnumed focussed toward 0.1
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:16:09 +1100

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

- it is reinventing an object database inside a RDBMS
Indeed, isn't that what the whole business object layer is about? ;-)
- form definition and form data is not independant of form code
  - this is my biggest grief
I suppose I can't see how you can ever get that independence, but (as always)
I'm happy to be corrected.
- you are proposing to mix middleware and UI code
At some point UI code needs to exist, and needs to talk to
the laTeX engine, I don't see inheriting classes, with defined interfaces
is really any different.

Personally, I do think with some effort form defs *can* be
made quite passive.
I agree this is the ideal. Please come up with a proposal, I've racked my
brain, I'm unable to come up with something
that will print a script or a complex referral letter (including lists of meds
and scripts), without embedding
Python code, or extending LaTeX in fairly radical and odd ways.
Also, we want to produce electroic HL7 forms, passive templates don't make much
sense there.
The only way I can see is to use super-high-level placeholders, like "list of meds",
"list of diseases", however
these will be both locale- and engine- (because they are LaTeX tables) specific.

Ian

P.S. to me, a reasonable demostrable version (which isn't exactly the same as
0.1) include printing scripts and
referral letters. Hopefully once we've got this cracked it won't be too hard.