Re: Private Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: Private Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:19:51 +1100

I'm not claiming to be a wxPython/Python coder, but I can produce a modicum of
code. I don't pretend to be a 'back-end' coder either.

However as I'm sick and tired of the slow progress on gnuMed and what I see as
a lack of vision, I decided 2 weeks ago that I would learn a bit of
wxPython/python proper, and have been beavering away practicing in my spare
time. Bit of a hard learning curve. At this moment I'm going through a great
tutorial: http://www.byteofpython.info/ trying to learn about dictionaries
etc, and firing multiple questions to the wxPython users list.

As an exercise in learning this, I'm knocking up a complete and functional
gnuMed_AU gui-front end in wxPython 2.5, a la couple of quick screen dumps I
produced very crudly some many months ago. That way, at least anyone who
wants to see the conceptualisation of how it functions and it willing to
isntall wx2.5n will be able to download and install it and play with it.

I have created all the basic sections ranging from summary to scripts,
recalls, referral letters, progress notes etc, and can click on the toolbar
and jump back and forth between all the sections. I can load html code of
product information and swap the central panel area in and out, I can pick up
the button events from other imported files and display stuff, can put the
popup menu's onto the lists, click on an option , and display again central
hmtl data.

It is imperative that we move from 2.4 to 2.5x, ask by the time anything gets
produced python2.6 will be out, and so much has changed in 2.5. The old 2.4
code from the modules won't run in 2.5, and has to be changed more than just
a global replacement of the wx( as in wxDefault, becomes wx.Default etc).
Unfortunately there is a fair bit of laborious work changing it over.

I've also learnt some interesting things about sizers and how they behave,
none of which is intuitive.

If the group are interested in posting some screen dumps somwhere I will
provide a dozen or so, but my main interest at the moment is getting up to
speed.

I guess people forget I did program an entire visual basic program some  years
ago, and whearas I havn't coded properly for years, I am capable of learning
it.

As a last ditch effort to help the project, I'm going to attempt to be a
useful coder. I don't think most people on this list realise just how quickly
the moment of opportunity is passing us by, so rapid are the developments in
medical IT. Though Horst will I'm sure disagree, I think we have lost a
golden opportunity to get a foot in the door of medical IT in Australia. With
Divisions starting to set up their own VPN's, and the devlopments in State
Health, it is almost at the point where they will be proscriptive about what
software can and can't be used by GP's, ie You will be forced to use that by
certain vendors which are accredited etc, or not get access to the health
systems networks. I can hear Horst howling in the background about these
statements (so bring on the rebuttals). That's just how beaurocracy works in
this country, like it or not.

I agree with Tim's comments which went something like 'come on guys pull your
finger out' It's not that hard to produce something functional, albeit not
perfect. Its no good having a perfect backend that never gets used.

We have to find some way around the impass that seems to be Karsten;s (and
hence the German requirements) that dosn't fit AU, including some of the
database table design.

I also beleive we need to have another gnuMed conference in AU.

I'll switch off my email client now to avoid the flames.

Regards

Richard