[Gnumed-devel] Re: installing GNUMED in DEBIAN

From: J Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: installing GNUMED in DEBIAN
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:46:54 -0800

Still some delays with the new AMD desktop machine I bought (the processor was defective!), to install Debian Sarge and try the linux client. In preparation, however, expecting I will load one of Andreas' packages:

1. will the package for the client take care of any gnumed dependencies (wxpython, wxwindows etc) if they are not already on the machine? If the machine has different versions of the packages installed, will the package ask whether to remove older versions, and should I accept? And if the machine should already have newer versions on it (in my case it probably won't, but I am asking as more of a general case for Andrea's package), will the package offer to install the older versions (e.g wxWindows 2.4) if that is required, and would it work? I recall Richard had posted information on how to permit both versions to co-exist but maybe much fiddling would be required? Would it be a configuration worth including in the package?

2. with the client package being a "snapshot" package, does it install an image or archived copy of gnumed as the cvs existed on the snapshot date?

3. if as Andreas advises below, a user need simply type "gnumed", is that a symlink(?) to a file or shell command that simply does run gnumed "from cvs"

4. if there is value to install a newer version from cvs than is in Andreas' snapshot, I am thinking it could be worth having both on the machine. I did not see a package for this (maybe it is not something a person would use a package for).

Any suggested configuration for where to set up a newer CVS copy under Debian? A simple matter of putting it under a directory like gmcvs or will that screw something up? Can I assume the "gnumed" command will still run Andreas' snapshot version, while to run the newer cvs copy it would be a simple matter of navigating to *that* directory and typing gnumed.py as below?