Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:55:18 +0100

> The widget should work just fine in "Horst space", please report if it
> doesn't.
Nice, thanks ! You understand what I was thinking would
happen.

> the widget gets the various types of addresses ("home", "work", ....),
> contacts (phone, fax, ....) and Id number (social security number, Medicare
> number,....)
> from the backend, at runtime. This is nice and flexible, but causes problems
> when you want to do something programmatically with a piece of data
> (i.e send an email)
>
> We can say
> if comm = _("email"):
For such things I have tried to take care to create views
underlying business objects like this:

select
   contact.email as email,
   _(contact.email) as l10n_email,
   contact.fk_type as pk_contact_type

Hence there should always be an easy way to get at the type in the
"original" language. It would surely be better to dynamically
get the PK from the name once per run, though.

If translations create trouble in coding there is a design
problem with the schema and/or the classes. Please tell me
details.