Re: [Gnumed-devel] HL7 data sample for you.

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] HL7 data sample for you.
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:39:40 +1100

Karsten Hilbert wrote:
Ian, do you think it an acceptable solution for now to add a
flag is_blob (or similar) to test_result

IMHO display can be inferred by length.

Fine by me. I was just attempting to make some "concessions"
to "lure you into the trap" ;-)

If it is a few chars, it can
be displayed in Sebastian's grid-based viewer  (I'm assuming this
was this original purpose.), if longer we need something else.

Sounds OK.

The bigger issue with test_result is that it is poorly normalised.

You mean over-normalized ?

So in an FBE, I can track the Hb, you can track the MCV, someone else can be responsible for the WCC, and so on, which (to me) doesn't make any sense.

I see your point but I wonder whether that level of business
logic should really be enforced at the database level ?

Our widget allows for signing off groups, btw.
How do you/would you display per-number tracking results?

In our hospital system, we have something like this:

FBE:   | 3/3/05 |
-------+--------+
Hb     |  83    |
MCV    |  86.2  |
WCC    |  15.1  |

Viewed by:
        Ward 4W at 19:04 3/03/05
        Pharmacist Joe Bloggs at 19:10 3/03/05
        Ian Haywood at 20:32 3/03/05

How could you present this information for each line, sanely?

Ian