Re: [Gnumed-devel] Window manager - graphics rendering questions

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Window manager - graphics rendering questions
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:03:21 +1100

Duh, climb down off your high horse Horst - I DON'T CODE SIZES OF WIGITS.

Here is the code. If you can show me where the hard coding is I'll learn from
your experience and stop doing it. I just can't see any. The only hard coding
in my demo files was in the demographic panel which is not at issue here and
which was written some time ago and is yet to be fixed.

The only hard coding in the whole program is this:
class MyApp(wx.PySimpleApp):
    def OnInit(self):
        frame = MyFrame(None, -1, "THIS CRAP MOCKUP IS NOT MEANT TO BE
VISUALLY ACCURATE, SO DON'T WHINGE ABOUT THINGS NOT LINING
UP",wx.DefaultPosition,size=(1024,735))
Which is hardly 'hard coding'.

I've mentioned this topic before time and time and time again. Therre is
something fundamentally perculiar with wx.Windows and its interpretation of
graphics. It lacks the elegance of controls from many other programming
languages.

If you put simple boxes on a screen - sure, they will proportionaly resize,
they will even look similar under different window managers.

My gut feeling is that this has something to do with the graphics libraries
that the compile is linked to. This demo is from my debian box, I can't
remember what GTK I installed ( you can probablyl tell me how to find out).
If I compare what wxPython looks like on my ARCH box, it looks different from
my Debian box.

think again!!!!!!!!! I'd actually appreciate someone who understands this
looking at the code and figuring it out.

Richard