Re: [Gnumed-devel] HL7 data sample for you.

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] HL7 data sample for you.
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 00:42:39 -0800

At 5:56 PM +0100 3/3/05, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
 > FBE:   | 3/3/05 |
 -------+--------+
 Hb     |  83    |
 MCV    |  86.2  |
 WCC    |  15.1  |
 > -------+--------+
 > Viewed by:
        Ward 4W at 19:04 3/03/05
        Pharmacist Joe Bloggs at 19:10 3/03/05
 >   Ian Haywood at 20:32 3/03/05
 > How could you present this information for each line, sanely?
Again, not.
a) we aren't tracking who's seen something in the first place
b) we are tracking who has reviewed (as in seen by *a* human
   being) items

what is the difference between

        "who's seen something in the first place" (a)

and
        who has reviewed
        (as in seen by *a* human being) items (b)

Are you asserting
(a) asks for each *user* "What have they seen" whereas
(b) asks for each *test result* "Which user(s)" have seen it?"

and are you designating that (b) cares only to capture a single user, who sets "reviewed_by_clinician" to TRUE

On the related issue of "reviewed_by..." (or even viewed by), is there agreement that the schema may need to capture a proxy user?

I am thinking a doctor may order tests and have to leave the office and later, because they know to be concerned, they want to access their gnumed but cannot do so from out of the office (forgot their USB key, or network "down", or the lab actually phoned the office to report a "panic value", so the office pages the doctor. The doctor asks their secretary "please look up and report Mrs Smith's results to me over the telephone". So in the schema as it exists:

- would a secretary have access to view a result?
- if not, can a secretary be permitted access, by a method in which a doctor gives temporary authorization and through that audit, both the secretary and authorizing doctor are captured. So if this is agreed important, would it be through the front end that the secretary identifies from a pick list which doctor approved?

- would we want, in the user privilege schema, a field that that defines whether a particular non-clinician is eligible for that privilege (for example, you may permit a member of regular staff but not a new worker who has not yet proven their level of responsibility or trust)