Re: GUI (was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Results tracking)

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: GUI (was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Results tracking)
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:45:13 +0100

On Sunday 06 March 2005 02:38, J Busser wrote:
> At 10:13 AM +1100 3/6/05, E Dodd wrote:
> >  > Oh, I was thinking of adding more structure on the *backend*.
> >>
> >>  Karsten
> >
> >Last week Richard and I had a phone conversation about his frustration
> > with the "adding more structure on the *backend*" and not getting closer
> > to having this working with the GUI.
>
> I think Karsten is very good about focusing on 0.1 and cannot imagine
> he plans to spend much (if any time) on the backend on post-0.1
> issues until 0.1 is done.
>
> I totally feel for what Richard is wanting to do (I wish I had the
> skills to help) and I think his biggest frustration is working so
> much alone while Karsten and Ian *seem* to work on backend and
> middleware. While I think Ian also works on some GUI stuff it may be
> unrelated to what Richard is doing.
>
> Maybe there is frustration because Richard would love for what he is
> doing to be *part* of a 0.1 version whereas others think they can get
> by for 0.1 with weaker but more-straightforward prototypes?
>
> Maybe if anyone is in any position to contact & ideally collaborate a
> bit (or a bit more) with Richard privately, about how to connect his
> evolving GUI up with the ***0.1 middleware***,  that could help? I
> feel it is important, if not in the next few weeks, then at minimum a
> commitment to try to help at least a *little* with this over
> April-June. Any possibility of this?

This sums it up pretty good.

Working quietly I am spending many hours a day to make 0.1 happen. Am I
codding ? Unfortunately not. There is so much else to do. Getting wiki
content straight (Jim is doing an outstanding job here). Talk to companies
(no results yet) , answer questions of potential users and much more. This is
the work of a release guy.

Having praised my work enough I basically want to say that I understand
Richard's frustration but can do very little about it. We simply lack the
manpower. As hard as it seems we simply cannot (IMHO) have Richard's GUI in
0.1. After the release this is a entirely different story. The GUI is nice.
Lets say it *looks* nice. That doesn't help at all. I know Richard does an
excellent GUI job but This code needs to be connected. Well the good code,
not the crap one.

So here is what I can add to the discussion.
Karsten is the backend guy. Forget about him for a second.
Now who is going to connect the GUI to the middleware ?

Is the following possible ?
Richard. Please talk to Karsten which feature will be in 0.1.
Please write *good* code for one feature and tell Ian once you are ready.

Ian would you be willing to connect that code one by one to the backend?
I cannot ask you to stay away from other fun things you consider important but
this is the only way we will have *some* nice GUI connected to the backend.

Richard you should not worry about the backend at all unless it lacks
features. You need to create the GUI and Ian need to complain to Karsten if
it is impossible to connect the GUI to the backend by means of our
middleware.

Ok next step is to tell me (self proclaimed release guy) exactly one feature
you are starting with.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany