Re: [Gnumed-devel] Misconceptions about scratchpad, inbox,reminders.

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Misconceptions about scratchpad, inbox,reminders.
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 07:26:02 -0800

At 9:16 PM +0100 3/7/05, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
Do you *really* want your general doctor inbox to hold all
unreviewed lab items of all patients? Also, in your first design
iteration the inbox was part of the clinical screen. It would
then surely only contain items related to that patient and
perhaps items that are for "you" but not specific to any
patient, no ?

I was thinking that the importer could identify the ordering (or cc) doctor + patient combination for each test result, check whether the inbox for that doctor already has an inbox notification for that patient that has not been viewed and, if so, does not bother to create a new inbox record, because the doctor on checking their inbox can already be aware that there is something to check for that patient.

The *patient* inbox I was thinking about would contain data
pertinent to that patient, eg in the example of Mr Smith above
it would contain the unreviewed (perhaps only abnormal) lab
results in detail.

The inbox notification for that doctor / patient combination can have a flag for whether or not any of the results that have come in are abnormal. As soon as a result is imported that *is* abnormal, the flag could be updated.

If a practice of 3 doctors each sees 40 patients a day (I have no idea on the average for any GPs) let us just wildly assume this approximates the volume of patients for whom there is an information update. These notifications could be test results from tests that the group has ordered on previous days, could be cc results to do with care given elsewhere, could be correspondence like consultants' reports, could be messages from the pharmacy about medications a patient has run out of, could be new to-dos once we have put in place some kind of task tracker.

Let's say a doctor was out of the office for a day, they come back they have in their (individual) inbox

- 80 patients who have test results notification (these notify in fact of 800 tests but there is not a need to put all 800 in the inbox!) and it could be included in the inbox that of those 80 patients, 50 have abnormal tests and if we supported the ability to store "critical" abnormal levels if that is what a lab provider can notify, we could know that 7 are critically abnormal. Optionally the importer, as it was updating the status flag of whether any of the tests were abnormal, could increment how many test there are to review, however would get out of sync of the doctor reviewed some but not all.

Maybe incoming correspondence would be counted among "results", they could be requests for information so should maybe be tallied separately. Also 20 patients for whom a pharmacy (or the patient) has called to indicate prescription expiration. And messages / to-dos depending on the relative role of email and if a task tracker has been implemented.

- when focusing on a single patient, it should be possible to see the same notifications pooled across doctors (and pooled across non-doctor office staff to whom tasks may have been delegated) but filtered on that patient. These items could be subgrouped by the type of item. It may be that 2 or all 3 doctors had been touched by results for that patient because one ordered tests, another was the usual doctor who received copies from tests done elsewhere, there is no need to be shows 2 occurrences of "there are test results to check" but I suppose the notification of one doctor may have been normal and another abnormal.