Re: [Gnumed-devel] More scratch pad comments

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] More scratch pad comments
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:58:17 +1100

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 01:20, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > What I did in gnumed-mini is the following:
> > - when no patient is opened, the personal scratchpad of the logged-in
> > doctor is displayed
> > - as soon as a patient file is opened, the patient's scratchpad is
> > displayed
>
> Which only truly works if you have a close-patient() function.
> Which GnuMed currently does not, there *always* is an open
> patient (unless you activate the close_patient() thing via the
> configuration which is untested).

In that case I must confess I lost track with gnumed development.
In mini-gnumed I do as follows:

1.) every widget related to a specific patient has a function
"OnPatientActivated(id)" which it registers with the message dispatcher for
the "PatientActivated" event.

2.) until it receives a "PatientActivated" event, it displays a default state
- usually blank, or in the case of the scratchpad widget, the
non-patient-specific messages for the logged in doctor

This is the general philosophy of all user interface elements - they must have
a default state if no patient is activated. For many widgets this makes
sense, think of pathology results "inbox" etc.

Horst