Re: [Gnumed-devel] Number of Active Problems before death is a certainty

From: catmat
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Number of Active Problems before death is a certainty.
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:56:47 +1100

Richard Terry wrote:

Just out of interest, how many currently active significan health problems do you reckon a patient can have and still be alive??

I do ask this for a reason, as I muck round with the ergonomics of screen design.

I trawled my database and found up to 20 are not uncommon in chronically ill patients, with the record being 27 just prior to death. You may disagree with the apparent duplication of some of the things on my problem list (eg different sites of his vascular disease) but they were all there for a reason eg the lumbar back pain was a chronic pain managment problems, and the various vascular diseases needed different time scale follow up. The second list is a still alive grossly obese lady who just survied a massive pulmonary embolus, with the clot on a Chest CT extending from main pulmnary artery into both right and left pulmonary arteries!!
======================
Patient1 (dead now - not surprising
======================
Renal stones