[Gnumed-devel] Re: GnuMed presentation resources (and help needed)

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GnuMed presentation resources (and help needed)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:42:43 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Carlos Moro wrote:

  1. Speech: 30-45'
        . Following a suitable document specifically elaborated.
. Together with a visual presentation (in OpenOffice-Impress format or something similar). Thanks for the link of LateX Beamer, Andreas, though I'm afraid is really difficult for me to prepare the presentation in latex :(
Well, I do not really want to bother you with complicated LaTeX stuff, but
just in case you like a nice GUI I think I have read aboutr klyx support in the
latex-beamer manual.  But if you are in a hurry - just take what you know.

We could begin with the introduction about the benefits of open source software for health care and then go on with GnuMed option specifically ;)
Perhaps you can steal some ideas for the general part from my Debian-Med
talks at

      http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/

(please also have a look at the link to the paper on top of this page).

Thanks!! We can work together, and everyone is invited also ;). He know little about IT so I imagine we should focus for the perspective of a clinical manager who is interested in its use and deployment and just extend on technical details at the end or as a complement...
I found out that it is kind of convincing when you talk to non Free Software
related people that you explain the problem kind of this:

  - Free Software developers are not just nice people who want to make
    the whole world happy.
  - The main motivation is: Get a running system for themselves.
  - They just understand that they are simply able to gain a lot of
    "employees for zero money" if they open there project and make
    it good and attractive.

A second argument is:

  - If you are not the market leader (but the third or the fourth) you
    will by loose sooner or later.
  - Opening your source moves you into another field of the market and
    you can survive (examples: Netscape, Novell)

Both arguments are not completely right, but it is what people tend to
understand if they are thinking in categories of market share and making
money while absolutely are not able to understand that it is just fun to
give something.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--