Re: [Gnumed-devel] close-patient (was re: more scratchpad comments)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] close-patient (was re: more scratchpad comments)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:14:16 +0100

> I would think it desirable that whenever one logs in, a person would
> log into a general/ status area which would display numbers of
> messages etc.
That surely sounds reasonable.

> I had believed it was already suggested overall that
> when one logs in, it may be safer to NOT automatically activate the
> last patient that had been accessed, it would be safer to have to
> deliberately choose a patient.
Personally, I don't see much of a problem either way that I am
aware of right now. All three commercial packages that I work
with do it like that. The half dozen others I know do, too.
HOWEVER, Richard attested that it would be a bad idea. Since I
see no compelling advantage/disadvantage in either I decided
that I could side with him just as easily as the other way
round.

All truth being told I do see value in always having a patient
open (does not imply having unsaved data, though). It gives
developers a really hard-and-fast assumption to go by:

"I can assume to always be able to work with a patient object.
If that assumption fails something very fundamental is amiss
and I may safely assume cleanly aborting is the best option."

> Of course, it would remain useful to
> be able to access a *list* of the patients one had just finished
> accessing.
That is possible already.

> Not sure if that list is "lost" upon logging off or after
> a timed auto-logoff if and when such a feature is enabled.
upon logging off, currently