Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: vista cprs

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: vista cprs
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:47:57 +1100

catmat wrote:
> finally took a look at vista, can see why it might be "free". Googling
> found
> a guy called Bashkar who 1 year ago was trying to get vista running on
> linux
> and the free M replacement GT. M
> on the openhealth list, and said he had difficulty knowing which of the
> 100s
> of modules in vista need to be configured.
> Recently, he released on sourceforge a dvd iso for vista , gt.m on knoppix.
> Not sure if it runnable though.

Yeah, it works, but you only get terminal screens. I've yet to see a
bootable demo configured to use the GUI CPRS interface.

> So I suppose Vista is "free" because it's so hard to configure, vista
> people
> make money by support.  Don't know if Vista Office will be any different,
> in terms of need for massive amounts of support.

Remember that VistA is a system develped over 30 years to run hospitals
with thousands of beds and perhaps tens of thousands of staff, and
hundreds of departments. Not surprisingly, configuring it is not a minor
undertaking. My understanding is that the VistA Office project will
dramatically simplfy the configuration, as befits a small to medium
sized primary care clinic. We'll see.

> I suppose the problems that prevented CPRS from becoming
> the most widely used "free" gui EMR are:-
>    - Vista is hard to configure
>    - Cache is not free, although GT.M seems to be,

GT.M on Linux is open source. GT.M on other platforms is commercial.
There is another free version of M/MUMPS, I understand, but GT.M is the
most widely used. The fact that it shares its codebase with mature
commercial versions in widespread use on different platforms is
re-assuring. Cache is commercial on all platforms.

Thanks for the excellent overview of VistA/CPRS. I agree, there is a lot
to be learnt from it.

Tim C