Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: vista cprs

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: vista cprs
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:12:56 +1100

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:18, catmat wrote:
> a guy called Bashkar who 1 year ago was trying to get vista running on
> linux and the free M replacement GT. M
> on the openhealth list, and said he had difficulty knowing which of the
> 100s of modules in vista need to be configured.
> Recently, he released on sourceforge a dvd iso for vista , gt.m on knoppix.
> Not sure if it runnable though.
>
> So I suppose Vista is "free" because it's so hard to configure, vista
> people make money by support.  Don't know if Vista Office will be any
> different, in terms of need for massive amounts of support.

Vista is free because of US legislation demanding that. Bless them for this.
"Vista people" as in the original authors make no money from it, thy are on a
government salary.
It's difficult to set up because it grew "organically" in big hospitals and
big internetworked systems, was not intended initially to be  set up by
individual users in individual computers.

Bashkar is one of the bravest and kindest IT people I ever met - if there were
more people like him, the world would be a better place. He really leaned far
out of the Window when he coerced his employer company (Sanchez) to release
their prized product GT.M under an open source license (You'll be surprised
how many big business (especially big banks) are using GT.M)

Horst