Re: [Gnumed-devel] A Proposal for Gnumed: Rites of Passage

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] A Proposal for Gnumed: Rites of Passage
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:58:51 -0800

At 10:38 PM +1100 3/13/05, catmat wrote:
catmat wrote:

Why is money being thrown at a reinvention of oscar?

Um, I thought we were talking about funding the completion of GnuMed.
That's what the subject line says...

if it's gnumed, I might put in some money to get to 0.1 and beyond quickly.
Not sure if someone independent needs to act as the client stakeholder though,

So far we are 10-20% toward supporting Horsts' 30,000 proposal or ~2%+ toward the 200,000 proposal. Would $230,000 to do both be at crossed purposes?

Whether Horst's proposal to take time off to get something done was to be provocative or deadly serious (it could be the latter) is helpful to have us define how a plan could work. The $30,000 plan would be more manageable to define than the $200,000 though the same principles should apply.

If we first consider Horst's $30,000 proposal

- would it be to re-do GnuMed-mini (which is what I think he is proposing) or to get 0.1 out the door? - if gnumed-mini, how could it be done so as to have the work assist gnumed-main (or would it not be possible except software engineering concepts, and lessons learned with the software tools, that could benefit gnumed-main) - if Horst's focus would be on coding, is it useful for others to try to schedule their volunteer/hobby time, for that "month", to try to be available to Horst, assist his decisions and maybe do documentation either in-line as they alpha/beta test his code or separately on the wiki if it is Horst who, during the active coding, is the only one who should be making at least *some* in-line documentation - any of course, we would have to map out the deliverables (what there is agreement that we want/need) i.e. imperative to do before Horst would get started