Re: [Gnumed-devel] family history table

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] family history table
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:55:46 +0100

Richard et al,

more input sought.

There are two conceputally conflicting design goals (that I am aware of).

1) family history item integrated into a patient's EMR
   - searching a patient's EMR for family history narrative is easy
   - a condition of my grandparents can be of significance to
     my health but not to that of my sister (gender-wise)
   - may require repeated input of the same condition when
     linking to different patients unless intelligently
     supported by the frontend

2) "generic" family history item outside any patient's EMR
   - can be linked to from several EMRs since my grandma
     may suffer a hereditary disease no matter whether that's
     linked to me or my sister as a family history item
   - requires non-neglectable hoops to jump through to allow
     for appearance in searches over the EMR narrative

Now, what are the suggestions here ? I am feeling like
favouring 1) at the moment.