Re: [Gnumed-devel] artwork handling

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] artwork handling
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 00:38:56 -0800

At 6:27 AM +0100 3/20/05, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> With images, do we have to contend with the *image* format and the
> *file* format as well as whether or not a file may contain multiple
> images?
I don't know what you men by image format vs. file format.

Maybe a misapplication from video formats (?)... I wondered too if a single image and the file that contains it might involve different types of "formats".

Also if a sheet-fed scanner generates a file that contains multiple images (say from each page of a multi-page paper consultation), would this be a problem for gnumed to import? I think this is a "metafile"?

http://www.tasi.ac.uk/advice/creating/fformat.html

For possible interest:

On-the-Fly Conversion: TIFF2PNG vs. TIFF2GIF Conversion Utilities
http://www.library.cornell.edu/preservation/IMLS/tiff2png_summary.pdf