Re: [Gnumed-devel] making money from GNUmed

From: Roberto Mello
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] making money from GNUmed
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:08:10 -0700

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 01:54:21PM +0100, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> What I will sell maybe is binary packages made from this script. What are
> your opinions on that ? I am not selling licenses for GNUmed which cannot be
> done. I am selling the service of providing prepackaged binaries which
> contains code that is freely available. I will charge for providing these
> packages on CD as well as for the CD it self. I am not claiming to be
> authorized by the FOSS project GNUmed but do this on my own account.

You're free to sell branded/boxed copies of GNUmed for those that want to
buy it. When you redistribute binaries, just make sure the sources go along.
I don't think the GPL says that you have to make the software downloadable
for free, but if someone buys a copy from you, they'll be free to
redistribute copies of it, just like you.

If you brand it with a name trademarked by you, those redistributing your
"version" may not want to use your trademarked name, but they can still
redistribute the software, make it better and compete with you.

You're also free to sell services based on the software.

I don't see any problems with that. In fact, it's part of the beauty of
free software. I say go ahead. I've wanted to do the same but haven't had
time yet.

-Roberto

--
Roberto Mello