Re: [Gnumed-devel] making money from GNUmed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] making money from GNUmed
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:00:09 +0100

> Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
>
> > Let me ask some questions before any of this is out in the wild.
> > This is a grey zone I guess. Are you saying that there is no way to
> > sell multiple licenses of the installer ? Can it be compared to
> > boxed Linux distributions ?
It most definitely can. IMO the situation is the same.

> > ? Can one package be restricted to one company/person or can it be
> > passed on
>
> If it is GPLed, and it is, it cannot be restricted.
Well, he could write a nifty, coffee-making installer and sell
binaries of that. A license for *that* may include that you
need to buy as many as you have boxen you want to use it on.
Installation, that is. People *can* take the source from your
sold CD and install it on other machines. They *cannot*
however *use your commercial installer for doing so*
unless they own the appropriate number of licences.