Re: [Gnumed-devel] Installers

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Installers
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:07:19 +0200

Hi Tim,

On Monday 28 March 2005 02:26, Tim Churches wrote:
> Sebastian or anyone else, have you tried the BitRock installer yet? It
> certainly looks interesting. I am going to ask them for a free (um,
> no-cost) license to try it with NetEpi, but I'd be very interested in
> comparing notes if it is going to be used for GNUmed.
Did you miss a few threads ? You can download an evaluation version without
asking them for a license.

I tried it. It works. That I can say. I attached a very simple xml file for
GNUmed in one of my last mails. One will have to modify path statements
though. I am waiting for info on the MacOSX part.

> An alternative might be to use AutoPackage for cross-distribution Linux
> packaging (http://bylands.dur.ac.uk/~mh/autopackage.org/),
I know :-) Check the GNUmed wiki
http://salaam.homeunix.com/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed/BinaryPackages

> and either
> the Nullsoft installer (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/) or Inno Setup
> (http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php) for Windows.
http://salaam.homeunix.com/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed/BinaryPackages
I used that one some time ago. It works. It has evolved since.

> The advantage of the latter approach is that even the installers are
> open source.
Absolutely
> Disadvantages are the need to maintain separate installers
> for Linux and Windows, and no Apple Mac OS X support, which BitRock
> promises.
Well MacOSX provides it own packaging mechanism which has been shown to be
usable.

> Difficult choice.
Actually no. :-)
There will be packages if someone packages GNUmed. This person makes the
decision. Another person might disagree and package GNUmed with another
technology. It's about doing it not making decisions. One thing I have
learned about GNUmed is that you can only make decisions for yourself. You
can make it as easy as it gets for other people to do your work. It simply
won't happen :-)

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany