Re: [Gnumed-devel] talkback client

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] talkback client
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:22:56 +0200

On Monday 28 March 2005 16:30, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 07:49:44PM +1100, Tim Churches wrote:
> > > Ah, so then you don't have standard e-mail set up on *your*
> > > system. Standard e-mail in a UNIX environment means there's a
> > > demon listening on port smtp (25, I think) that knows how to
> > > deal with e-mail.
> >
> > That is only true for a server machine.
>
> Not so. Exactly what IS a server machine in the UNIX sense ?
>
> > It would be unusual to have an
> > SMTP daemon listening on port 25 on a workstation machine.
>
> I've always been running sendmail as a queuing demon even on my
> laptops. The advantage is that there's a well defined API for
> sending mail, namely SMTP. Whether the demon is started on
> demand by intetd or is always running is a peripheral matter,
> of course.
>
> All this is hardly a matter worth discussing for 0.1, methinks.
Yes and no. Since this is some fundamental issue which we don't have the
resources to solve befor 0.10 (note the 0 ) we will work with what we have
already. We will miss a lot of feedback because many users won't be able to
feed back :-) Anyway. It should be high on the list for 0.12

I will put some docs in the Wiki next week on what we want and how it can be
done. Just maybe there will be someone who goes. "

Oh look this is a nice little project for me. I need to know nothing about
GNUmed and this talkback client can be used by many other project. I will do
it right now" :-)

Not me of course.

I won't be discussing this right now but for the versioning scheme I have odd
and even numbers in mind.

first release 0.10
second 0.12

Yes this skips 0.11 but it makes versions easier to follow. And yes I am
thinkin about 0.10.1, 0,10.2 for bugfix releases as well.

Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany