Re: [Gnumed-devel] talkback client

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] talkback client
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 07:13:43 +1000

J Busser wrote:
> At 8:01 AM +1000 3/30/05, Ian Haywood wrote:
>
>> P.S. does anyone have any comment on using the user's mailreader to
>> send talkbacks?
>

> Does this mean "trigger" whatever mailreader is designated in the
> operating system, to launch that app (if it is not already running) and
> to create a new mail message inputting automatically the "to" address,
> the body of the message and possibly the subject line, as well?
>
> The idea being that, if feasible, this method would enable Tim
> Churches's proposal, that users be able to visually identify, before
> sending, the nature and extent of any confidential data that would be
> transmitted?

The other way is to assemble the talkback message, and display it to the
user in a pop-up and ask them if it is OK to send to the GNUmed
developers. You might want to give users the ability to edit the
message, or to add their own comments.

Also, I don't think there is anything wrong with Karsten's idea of using
SMTP to send the message - it is by far the simplest and most robust
method, and libraries to assemble a message and to talk to an SMTP
daeomn are part of the Python standard library. I only questioned
Kartsen's assumption that there would also (or even often) be an SMTP
daemon listening on localhost. I think all you need is a config option
to set the address (and port) of an SMTP server through which talkback
messages can be sent - that will usually be the user's ISP mail server,
or a mail server or mail proxy running at the edge of their LAN.

Tim C