Re: [Gnumed-devel] wells score - how to store it ?

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] wells score - how to store it ?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:21:10 +0200

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:57:36AM +0200, Hilmar Berger wrote:

> IMHO the easiest way to store this and the most robust one is the following:
>
> 1. store one line or entry in clin_narrative describing the name and result
> of the test (e.g. (GCS: 5))
Agree. Examples: APGAR, GCS, Wells, MMS, you-name-it.
Clinicians, to the fore ! :-)  Would do well on a
page in the Wiki nearby Liz' excellent path lab lists.

> 2. link from clin_narrative to some generalized table where
> the results for the test can be found, one test item and its
> value per row.
Am I understanding correctly that you are saying that test
items along with their results are nothing but *measurements*
eg they should live in test_result ?  That does sound quite
clever, too ! And it does allow correlating items across
language barriers (by utilizing test_type_unified).

> 3. Build the GUI however you want (forms, hand rolled).
>
> This should keep it sweet and simple and you can build the
> whole functionality in single steps (clin_narrative first,
> generalized tables later).

Why, of course ! Hilmar as usual makes the elegant solution
painfully obvious :-)

I think that nailed it down. Scores are processed test
results. Period.

> Everything else will lead to an unlimited growth of
> specialiced tables/code - which one day we will be unable to
> handle for almost every advanced feature we might introduce
Exactly.