Re: [Gnumed-devel] codes for narrative - how to store

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] codes for narrative - how to store
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 10:44:25 +0200

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 08:16:09AM +1000, Ian Haywood wrote:

> >codes from coding systems (LOINC, ICD, ICPC, Ozcode, ...):
> Permit me to digress briefly:
> I would add ATC (drugs) and MBS (surgical procedures, in AU) too.
It is entirely arbitrary *which* coding system a code is from.
Terms can be coded with as many as is needed.

> As has been said, it would be interesting (although less important) to be
> able to code Soap and sOap too.
Again, the approach 1) with a coded_narrative table "allows"
coding *any* narrative no matter the source table/field.

> In other circumstances, IMHO, the narrative should be broken up.
Yes.

> There's no reason why
> we can't have multiple entries in each SOAP category for a given SOAP note,
We can already.

> Another suggestion is to let the codes table have an "ancestor" column,
> (which can be NULL) which allows hierarchies of codes where this makes
> sense.
But this can easily happen outside the base coded_narrative.
Coded_narrative isn't supposed to be our formal table of term
- code lists. Those reside in the reference service.